Thursday, February 9, 2012

Please don't let it be over before it's even begun

I'm almost 40. I have a few more months of my thirties left, but for all intensive purpose this decade is pretty much behind me. For the most part I feel ok with that. Except for one thing. One of my goals was to run a half marathon before I turned 40. Last fall I almost made the Columbus half, but at 8 miles I didn't feel like I was quite ready. So, with the nudge of my BFF Jen, I signed up for the Vancouver (yes, the Canadian one)half marathon in May. I undertook this endeavor having lost a good chunk of my progress from the fall and carrying several extra pounds thanks to a bit of stress and the holidays. All was going great and I was increasing my mileage on a consistent basis....until. Until last week when I noticed a dull ache in both knees after an outdoor run. I didn't think much of it and ran a 3 miler two days later. I could tell immediately following that run that there was something not quite right. So I took 5 days off and tried another 3 miler the next week. Since then the dull ache has turned in to a pain. It's right above both knee caps and I suspect it might be tendonistis (thank you Dr. Internet). Tomorrow I head to a real doctor to get it checked out. Hardcore training is due to start this Tuesday and I reeeeally hope it's not over before it's even begun.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

How'd the knee turn out? I, too, get knee pain - esp if I take a little break from running. I'm doing weights to keep the quads stronger and it helps. But I'm not brave enough to do a 1/2 marathon! Go Nicole!