Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Preschool"

I kind of feel like I'm missing out. For years I thought preschool was going to be this big right of passage in my life and the lives of my children. After all, that's the experience I had growing up. My Mom was a SAHM (stay at home mom) up until the time I went to Kindergarten. So when I went to The Little Brick School for preschool it was a pretty big event in all of our lives. I see that excitement now in some of my friends as adorable first-day pictures and videos hit my inbox. But for me? Not such a big deal. WA has been in daycare almost his entire life. I'm a huge daycare fan (but also a even bigger fan of stay at home moms...you ladies deserve some tremendous props!). I always envisioned being a SAHM, so was kind of surprised when I turned out to be a daycare advocate. WA has learned SO much and has had, in general, a very positive experience. We met a couple of teachers that are fabulous and with whom I'm still friendly. You can't ask for more. But one of the unexpected outcomes has been that the right of passage I was expecting with preschool...?....well it kind of passed me by. No big deal. Just another room in the progression at his current daycare. That's not to say that the preschool room is sub-par, far from it...WA is thriving...it's just to say that the experience hasn't made all that much of an impact. So every now and then I have to remind myself that I have a preschooler. How grown up:).


No comments: