I recently received an email from a co-worker. You know the type...the co-worker who incessantly forwards random jokes, funny stories and odd news items. Well, this particular email really resonated with me. It contained a column by a woman named Regina Brett who, upon reaching her 90th birthday, printed her favorite words of wisdom. It's a list of 45 life lessons. I wanted to share this with my legions of blog followers (total sarcasm there) and especially with my children should they ever read this. Some of these thoughts remind me very much of my own mother (my children's Mimi). I wish she were here so I could forward them to her too, she would have agreed with wise-wise Regina.
Here are a few of my favorites...
#1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
#3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone...
#7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
#8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
#9. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.
#10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
#11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
#13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
#14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
#17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
#20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
#22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
#25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
#26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
#29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
#31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
#32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
#35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
#36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
#37. Your children get only one childhood.
#38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
#43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
#44. Yield.
#45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
I could not have said it better.
1 comment:
it is a good list. and obviously i am not so bright because I read it and thought to myself, "Well that doesn't seem so long." and then I realized you only posted the highlights. another life lesson, "Skimming does not equal READING"
Post a Comment