Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Say Ahhhhh

Last week WA got his tonsils and adenoids removed. He had what's called "kissing tonsils" which meant his were so big they actually touched in the back of his throat. You can imagine how difficult it was to eat and breath with those suckers. While in CT I had poked around with our pediatrician about the possibility of having them removed. Our Dr. tended to be on the less aggressive side (which usually I like) and suggested we wait it out until 7 years (when these needless lymphatic organs generally shrink by themselves). My mother's intuition was nagging and I kept feeling like this wasn't the right thing for WA (since he had apnea and often woke up exhausted). So once we moved to OH, I finally hooked up with a pediatrician who agreed and sent us to the ENT. Even though the recovery was not fun (what parent doesn't cringe at their child crying "Mommy, make it feel better...") I am convinced it was totally the right decision.

[We are lucky enough to now live in a town that has access to a premier children's hospital. I've frequented this hospital WAY too much over the past few months and each time I am even more impressed than the last. Each care taker has been awesome...from the doctors, to nurses, to the lady dropping off the food. Just amazing. It's definitely heartbreaking to be there at times. For example, across the hall from WA was a little boy who was recovering from brain surgery. He had his head shaved and a cut from front to back. His parents clearly had to work and often time he was left alone during the day (with the exception of the nurses). What an awful thing for both him and his parents. I just can't imagine. You also see so many kids (of all ages) who are clearly gravely ill. I am so thankful that, even though we've spent our fair share of hours at that hospital, my kids are relatively happy and healthy. Now that's a blessing.]

10 days later and WA is finally feeling better. His throat is still occasionally tender (like when he eats crackers), but all in all he took it like a champ. His voice is actually somewhat different, which we were told to expect, and he his pronunciation isn't as clear. He essentially has to learn how to talk and breath without huge lumps blocking the way. Kind of fascinating. Now all he has to do is come down off his week long ice cream/popsicle/pudding high and we'll be golden.

1 comment:

AmyBow said...

oh i wish we could hear him! and i know his buddies in CT would love to help him down all the ice cream (and then work it off running around the playground!)