Friday, August 7, 2009

Calm

This morning I had a feeling that I have not felt in a long time. A sense of calm.

This sort of thing used to happen to me all the time, back in my single days, when I lived in Seattle. Mostly I would feel the wash of calm as I was driving to and from work across Lake Washington on the floating bridge. Heading west on I-90 there is a curve right as you leave the city that offers stunning views of Mt. Rainier. Pure heaven on a bright clear day. Now, most of you are probably thinking..."Seattle? Bright sunny day?" Yes, they did occur...and quite frequently in the summer. On these days I used to blast Dave Matthews Band, roll down the windows of the trusty silver Jetta and just relish. Turning that corner most of my senses would be bombarded. Sight, check (mt. Rainier), Sound, check (DMB), Touch, check (the wind). Top that off with the warmth of the streaming sun and a feeling of utter peace and happiness would wash over me. I remember the sensation well.

This morning I got closer to that feeling than I have in a long time. I don't really know why, as I've had a bit of an emotional week, but I have to say it was great. I had just dropped both kids off at daycare after a pretty harried morning. I was driving away down a wooded street, windows were down and I was listening to John Mayer. I just felt good. Peaceful and good. Now that I'm back at my desk ready to start another crazy workday, I'm going to remember that moment and smile.


No comments: