Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The gift that keeps on giving

So say it's your first birthday....what would you like? A colorful book? A musical toy with lots of buttons? A trip to the park? Some cake? Well, if you're IA, you're getting a fantastic trip to the hospital for ear tube surgery. Awesome! Granted, it's actually a pretty amazing gift, in so much as she is going to be able to hear without feeling like she's underwater and will be incredibly more comfortable than she is now. But it's not actually the way I envisioned spending my baby's first b-day. I must say the guilt I had when scheduling it for THAT day, man, pretty darn big. Unfortunately it was the only day available before we move and this can not wait. She is miserable, I am miserable, we all need her to feel well. I WANT her to feel well. So for now she's got her appointment and the only thing that is really freaking me out is the anesthesia. I'm going to try not to think too much about it (but it really does scares the crap out of me!) and focus on the positive. And one thing I can promise...once the surgery is over, a big fat cake will be waiting for her at home!


2 comments:

Jenni C said...

The guilt we have to carry as parents was not what I expected. Seamus needed hernia surgery when he was two. They drugged him before taking him to surgery. He was so high and happy and when the nurse picked him up to carry him away he was floppy and laughing and I felt SO bad. It felt like I was playing a terrible trick on him.

I hope IA made it through with ease and that you feel better about your part in the whole deal.

Anonymous said...

It will be OK - it hard at first but the whole thing is very quick. We can chat more later. Good luck to IA! Will be thinking of her! - DS