Today WA's teacher pulled me aside to talk about WA's behavior in class. "Oh great", I thought, "here we go again.". WA is a good kid, but about a year ago we determined, with outside help, that he has a bit of a sensory disorder. There are two extremes he can't handle...1.when things get really hectic and 2.when he is very bored. In both cases it manifests in him getting physical (in his case, pushing and biting). It's like his brain gets all jumbled and he doesn't know what to do with it. In his last class, Ladybugs, he had an awful time transitioning, in large part because neither the teachers nor my hubby and I were really aware of this. With the help of a third party, and his awesome teacher Ms. C, we were able to get him to a place where he could maintain control, even when he felt out of control. It was a tough road. The hardest part, BY FAR, was getting the reports that my child had hurt someone elses. It's just an awful, awful feeling. It appears that what is happening now is not nearly as bad (knock on wood!!!), but it's so disheartening. He has been doing so well at home that this chat with his teacher threw me for a little loop. I thought perhaps we had nailed this. But here we are. So we'll tackle it head on again and this time we might have to take it to the next level and get him some cognitive therapy. This is my first lesson in parental disappointment. I'm not disappointed with WA, please don't get that impression, but rather that things aren't smooth. Silly, I know, but it's how I'm feeling. At least at the moment...
1 comment:
it would be so nice if things just followed our plan, right? i think it reflects poorly on me when LP is wearing a silly mismatched outfit that she picked out. Alas, I created a unique little person, not a mini me that came with a remote control. Hmm...perhaps something to invent for future application...
Post a Comment