Monday, August 24, 2009

Intervention

Today I embarked on a self-intervention. I was inspired by my friend, DSC, who is very much in the same boat and has picked up her own boot straps. DSC has been struggling to adjust to life with two kids and a demanding job. How to be a good mom, a kind wife, love yourself and succeed at work. Hmm, I certainly haven't figured it out! But one thing I do know is that I need to stop agonizing over it and start taking some steps toward more balance. So today's the day.

Here's my 4 part plan:

1. Get my frickin' skin taken care of. I'm sick of looking like a 16
year old pubescent girl. So I called and got a dermatologist appointment. Simple (in fact probably the simplest on the list).

2. Get my diet in check. That doesn't mean I'm going on "a diet". I
just need to be more conscious of what is going in. No more nibbling on the kids left overs and less take-out. More leafy greens, less carbs. This one is going to be tricky, especially since I am no cook. But it needs to happen.

3. Get my butt in gear. Sigh. I really, really miss exercise. I'm so far out of shape that I can't fathom how I'm going to claw my way back, but again, it has to happen. I think my goal is going to be "more active". It's not that I'm going to place expectations on myself to hit the gym X days a week, but I'm going to attempt to MOVE way more than I am now. Whether it's taking a walk with my kids, jumping on the treadmill at lunch or getting the old dusty bike out. This will definitely be my baby-steps goal.

4. Get my life decluttered. I am getting overwhelmed by stuff and it's adding to a general sense of anxiety. I either have to reduce/reuse/recycle or I need better storage solutions...or both.

On top of all this I'm going to attempt to focus on the positive. I definitely feel like I'm learning that life is too short to sweat the small stuff...whether it's a toddler tantrum or an irritating co-worker or ripping your favorite pair of jeans. I'm learning to just let it go.

So...my self intervention. It's overdue. Wish me luck.


1 comment:

Jess said...

Yeah...going through the same thing myself!! We should talk.....