Monday, June 29, 2009

WA tells it like he sees it

This past weekend WA and I hit my all-round favorite store, Target. We needed to get some more "big boy underpants" because this 3 year old little boy is burning through them like nobodies business. Yes, unfortunately potty training is proving to be a little bit messy. My hubby stayed in the car with IA. She was napping and, to be honest, Target just isn't as much fun when you have the entire crew following you around. So WA and I went inside to run our errand (and pick up a few other things. come on, it's nearly impossible not to in that darn store!). In order to get to the undies, we had to beeline through the toddler clothing department. WA has developed a real love of "fun" shirts...his two current favorites being a Rolling Stones shirt with the "Sticky Fingers" tongue on it and a black shirt with a series of Warhol-esq boom boxes across the front. So as I walked through, I was glancing at the shirts to see if there might be something WA might enjoy. I pointed out a couple to him, but there was nothing deemed a "must have", so we kept going. About half way through the department, WA looks up at me and says "Mommy, I'm handsome". Umm....ok. The kid is 3 years old and ALREADY knows it?!? I don't really praise him about his looks and, as anyone who knows him can attest, my hubby is certainly no gusher. So I'm thinking either some of his daycare friends think he's the bomb or the kid has got an ego that might cause me some serious headaches down the road.

This morning WA woke up in a cuddly mood. As such he invited me to join him to stretch, cuddle and get the "eye-boogies" out of his eyes. As we lay in his bed snuggling and chatting about the day to come, all of a sudden he says "Momma, an F!". I was completely confused, but then he pointed up to the ceiling where the window blinds had left a reverse shadow in the shape of an abstract "F". For some reason, perhaps it was because the "F" really was pretty abstract, I was overcome with a feeling of pride. Is there anything sweeter than seeing glimpses of your child's development in motion? I think not.


No comments: