Thursday, November 12, 2009

IA's hospital adventure

This morning I woke up at 5am to head to the hospital. Just one year ago, I woke up at 5am to go to the hospital, but for an entirely different reason. I went to actually deliver IA herself. The whole process of waking up this morning, getting dressed (with a sense of anxiety mixed with anticipation), packing the bag...it was all there. We got to the hospital, checked in and met with various nurses, then in walks the anesthesiologist.  I looked up and wham! deja vu again. Turns out this guy was the same doctor who gave me an epidural 12 months ago. He's a super nice doctor and I was comforted that IA had him, because at least I had experience with his professionalism and trusted him for what I consider the worst part...going under. I have to say that in her short life, leaving IA in that OR is by far the worst feeling I've had. I hope to never do that again. I kept it together (somewhat) and was able to relax for just a few minutes before she came out. Once out of the OR, she was in recovery for a few minutes without me and then I was allowed in. She was crying hysterically (as most kids do when they come out of the fog), but did really well and was comforted by a bottle and some cheerios. The rest was fairly routine and we were home in just a few hours. All in all it was pretty easy and I'm very happy that she can now put restless nights, discomfort and poor hearing behind her. Not the b-day present I expected to give her, but one I think she'll appreciate even if she can yet say so.

No comments: